Taking steps against workplace slips
GRIP is a footwear slip resistance rating scheme developed by
HSE to actively reduce slips.
Slips and trips are the most common cause of major injury to
employees*, leading to 2 million lost working days in 2012/13 and
representing a major financial burden to businesses.
The HSE GRIP rating scheme uses rigorous, scientific testing to
measure and grade the slip resistance of footwear.
GRIP will enable manufacturers to;
- Clearly show the level of slip resistance at point of
- Improve slip resistance during the design and development
- Gain competitive advantage over non-rated footwear.
GRIP will help footwear buyers
- Choose the right level of slip resistance for their
- Ensure maximum staff protection against slips,
- Reduce slipping accidents,
- Reduce business costs associated with slip-related
In the video below, HSE's Pedestrian Safety specialist Mark
Liddle explains the science behind the GRIP scheme's footwear slip
resistance testing. Can't see the video? View it here.
Our new GRIP information sheet explains how the scheme
works and where you can get further information about which
footwear has been rated.
Download a free,
Footwear manufacturers can now obtain ratings for their
Get full details of the
*Source: HSE - Slips & trips and falls from height in Great
Back to the top