HSE is one of the world's leading organisations in the testing
and research of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). We have many
years' experience in all aspects of PPE and its performance,
including helping to develop the British, European and
International Standards for PPE. As well as testing and assessing
different aspects of PPE performance, we provide bespoke PPE
training and support to HSE Inspectors and other public and private
organisations and companies. Our knowledge and expertise means that
we are well placed to train you to make good use of PPE.
This course will increase your knowledge and understanding of
PPE and its limitations, so that you can use PPE as an effective
workplace control measure. It will provide training in what a
successful PPE programme is, what you need to consider, and what
actions are required. The course includes hands-on elements to
enhance learning and provide practical skills.
No PPE provides 100% protection. However, PPE that is correctly
selected, used and maintained is capable of providing effective
protection. Unsuitable, poorly maintained and incorrectly used PPE
may give limited protection or none at all, and may even put the
wearer at greater risk. PPE which provides little or no protection
is a waste of time and money.
What will the course cover?
- Risk assessment and the hierarchy of controls
- Achieving effective control
- Relevant legislation on supply and use of PPE
- The range of PPE and how it works
- Correct selection, use and maintenance of PPE
- How PPE performance is described, for example protection
- Types, capabilities and limitations of PPE covering:
- Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
- Protective clothing, including gloves and boots
- Head protection/Eye and face protection
- Hearing protection
- Fall protection and PPE for work at height
- Using different PPE and equipment together at the same time -
the PPE ensemble
- How to put on and take off PPE, including daily checks and
- Wearer training and what you need to develop competence
- The elements of an effective PPE management programme,
including implementing and managing a PPE Programme
- Typical problems with PPE and PPE Programmes
Who should attend?
Anyone who has responsibility for, or is involved with, the
selection, use and maintenance of PPE in the workplace.
The course will be run at the HSE Science and Research Centre in
the spa town of Buxton. Buxton is in the heart of the Peak District
and has good links to mainline train stations and Manchester
Details of hotels in the Buxton area can be found at www.visitbuxton.co.uk
The cost of this course is £1,145 per person (includes
course notes, certificate of attendance
Please note that all courses must be paid for via credit
card at the time of booking.
For further dates and additional information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
contact the Training and Events Team at HSE directly on +44 (0)203
Back to HSE Health and Safety Training Grouped Courses